The African Biomedical Engineering Mobility (ABEM), is a project for building human and institutional capacity in Africa for needs-based health technology research and development.
It is funded by the Intra African Academic Mobility Scheme by the Education, Audiovisual and Cultural Executive Agency (EACEA) of the European Commission with the starting date of 1st November 2016 and will last 60 months.
Several ABEC members are involved: Kenyatta University, Addis Ababa University, Cairo University, Mbarara University of Science and Technology, University of Cape Town, University of Lagos and University of Pisa.
The specific ABEM objectives are:
- to build capacity in biomedical engineering for university lecturers in Africa.
- to establish a solid task force of African biomedical engineers.
- to create a platform for sustained cooperation across Africa in research and university teaching in biomedical engineering.
- to advance Africa’s capacity for health technology innovation.
The following activities are envisioned:
- Staff visits for teaching will enable the teaching of specialised courses and research methodologies, enhancing programme quality at the host institution and improving the international teaching experience of the course instructors. Consultations and feedback on course content will help well-established programs refine their course offerings and teaching methodologies.
- Staff visits for research will take place from less established to more established programmes, to build research experience.
- Postgraduate student visits will enable the completion of degrees with research specialisations not available at the home institution.
- Through the envisaged mobility programme, trained graduates will be fit to take up academic positions at institutions across Africa, bringing with them new research specialisations and teaching competencies.
A total of 41 individuals (22-Masters, 10-Doctorates, 9-Staff) will have the opportunity to take part to the program, with the final aim at improving the African BME competences for health technology innovation.
For more info, visit the official programme page